Project Lebanon

Monday, February 27, 2006

Some helpful hints

I spoke to a tech guy that comes out to the library I work at. I asked him some questions to kinda help out with our project. I wanted to first know if they (his company) did Kiosk work. They have helped out before, but do not create software, etc. However, he asked me some questions that I did not know the answers to, and something to think about-
1. Does the Lebanon PL create their own wed pages? If so, the tech person may feel comfortable designing the Kiosk. Meaning that LPL can run the Kiosk through their network-which does not necessarily mean it is connected to the Internet. If they can do their own design it would be more helpful for updating their own calendar, etc. If not, then that is when we have to find a vendor that will send out someone and will LPL be willing to do this throughout the years they have the kiosk. I think if their tech person is really comfortable and likes doing the web page updates, the best way to go at this would be to have the kiosk running through their network. Then they could use Flash.
He also said that usually people think when you connect it to the network, patrons can access the Internet, but they can lock that out.
I hope I didnt confuse anyone, I can probably explain it better in person, but he was giving me alot of information and explaining all this tech stuff- which is like a different language to me. But I think we need to figure out just exactly how much experienceLPL's technical services or system department has and what they are willing to do with the up keep of the Kiosk. Therefore , once we figure that out we can determine how much we want from the companies- and that may determine the cost as well.
Sorry if i confused you guys in any way, but I just thought this was interesting and I had no idea to even think about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home